Principles

The Samoa Voyaging Socety (SVS) works to promote positive Samoan cultural values, respect for the ocean and nature, individual and social responsibility, discipline and integrity.


The SVS considers that the reintroduction of traditional sailing in Samoa will provide opportunities for youth development (sports, leadership), environmental awareness, cultural development and, potentially, tourism opportunities such as whale watching and adventure tours.


SVS is developing hands-on educational and training programmes in traditional sailing and navigation. The programmes will target young Samoan youth including school children, school leavers and other interested groups. The task of learning traditional sailing and navigation skills also develops leadership and discipline among the youth, leading to well-rounded young people capable of contributing positively to the growth of this nation.





Sunday, August 7, 2011

Reflections from the Crew - Fialelei

Date: 4th August 2011

Position: Treasure Island, San Francisco, USA

Before I go further, I just want to let you know about my topic which is new things in my life.

New things in my life are different by the time on land. I would never have known I’d spend my time to crossing Pacific Ocean and meet different people from different motu’s. Now I’m happy to spend my time to do any exercise on the ocean like sailing, fishing, and more.

The special thing I’ve learned is how to use important things around us like the sun, the moon, stars for sailing between the Islands.

Leaving from Honolulu to San Francisco, everything is good. The captain and the crew are all well because God protects us.

On the way to San Francisco Gaualofa adopted a new crew member from the ocean, a seal, and it was an amazing thing because it jumped on board and sailed with us for twenty hours and then later the next day she went back to her family.

We thank God for sharing and protecting Gaualofa and her crew. We arrived in good and high spirits to San Francisco. Soifua.

Fialelei Afoa.


No comments:

Post a Comment